... when you're constantly on the move, few things remain unchanged.

food for thought | okra

Sunday, July 20, 2014


There's a little Guatemalan vegetable called okra that I discovered when I moved to America and very quickly became obsessed with!  It's kind of a cucumber, kind of a zucchini, kind of a capsicum (green pepper), but not really any one of those.


It's prevalent in Southern-style cooking where it's added to stir-fries, pickled or mixed into the famous Gumbo stew.  But my favourite okra dish is simply having it coated in a batter and deep fried.  Mmmm. Delicious!  There was a restaurant in Atlanta just down the street from where I lived, that used to serve deep fried okra as an appetizer.  It came with a type of aoli dipping sauce and I don't think I'm lying when I say that I went there and ate it every other day for the first six months I lived in America!


While I definitely don't eat it that much anymore, I'm still not sick of okra.  Here in America's south, it's an easy choice as a side dish to many meals and I get it as often as I can.  If you're thinking of visiting America and want to try something new that's not too outrageous - I strongly recommend okra!  

2 comments

  1. Hi Lena .. if I see that - I will definitely give it a try .. otherwise I haven't found I enjoy it ... but you've added it back into my food brain!

    Cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh hi Hilary! I didn't realize they had okra in the UK! How is it made over there?

      Delete

 

About unwavering me

Sharing my stories of migrating from Australia to the US | travel adventures | married life | furry kids | new experiences | lessons | and loving life despite always missing home. xo.

Contact

Instagram Follow Me on Pinterest

spring in Austin TX

spring in Austin TX

Translate