... when you're constantly on the move, few things remain unchanged.

my live, DIY rustic wreath

Wednesday, December 17, 2014


One thing I've enjoyed with my leisure time this past week is Christmas crafting!  After talking it over, Will and I decided not to get a tree since we won't actually be around for Christmas, but that didn't stop me going to Lowes to fish the tree trimmings out of their boxes like I did last year, to make the (now traditional) live garland (link) and several other little things for the house:

a fragrant live pine/ silk poinsettia
table bouquet
a live pine/ cone display in each bathroom

My most favourite project was the live, rustic wreath that I made for Will's aunty, whom we are staying with over Christmas:



Nothing beats the smell of live pine or a gift crafted with love!  I drew inspiration from Pottery Barn, where the live wreaths cost upwards of $100 and I want to tell you that making your own wreath is super fun, easy and cheap to make! So if you're strapped for ideas this Christmas - or buying for someone who has everything - this might be the perfect solution for you. Here's what you'll need:


live pine trimmings (free from Lowes!)
a wire wreath ($5.99 from Micheal's)
a bag of pine cones ($3 from Target)
twine
shears
scissors
small green wires 
(I already had some but you can buy these from Micheal's for about $3 if you don't have any)

I also tried to be ceative with some 'juniper' looking berries
and pine from our garden/ but the berries all fell off as I was
attaching them to the wreath :( Major bummer - but the
varying foliage looks great on the wreath!
I strongly recommend a wire wreath like this one from
Michael's - it's super easy to attach the pine and hold it firmly
in place - others I've tried are too time consuming and finicky! 
To start, just lay the pine needles in places
without securing them, to see how they will look
When you're happy, wrap the wires around
the bundle
They're so hard to see! The perfect secret :)
Roughly finished
Hang it up to see how it looks
Then secure any pieces that have gone haywire with the
small green wires
You can make it as tight/ neat/ round as you like -
I wanted mine to look rustic so didn't tighten it too much
Now it's looking neater :)
If you want to decorate with pinecones, place the wreath back
on the floor and roughly lay the pinecones in place
To secure them onto your wreath, tie twine tightly around
the bottom layers... 
Thread the twine inconspicuously through the foliage... 
Making sure it's completely hidden from the front...

And tie in place around the back
Voila! Your rustic wreath is all done! 
Well almost...
I personally LOVED it like this, but when I showed it to
Will - he said it needed colour to make it more festive...
Luckily I had these berry wires  ($1.99 from Michael's)
left over from Xmas present wrapping
So I pulled them apart...
And wrapped them randomly around pine needles on my
wreath 
Certainly more festive! 

Total time spent: 1 hour


Total cash spent: $9

HAVE FUN!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

About unwavering me

Sharing my stories of migrating from Australia to the US | travel adventures | married life | furry kids | new experiences | lessons | and loving life despite always missing home. xo.

Contact

Instagram Follow Me on Pinterest

spring in Austin TX

spring in Austin TX

Translate