... when you're constantly on the move, few things remain unchanged.

tuesday tunes {Youth by Daughter}

Tuesday, January 27, 2015

It's been a strange, introspective, educational week.  On Thursday, I saw the Theory of Everything at the cinema, which had a profound and lasting affect; then over the weekend I saw a movie called A Long Way Down, which wasn't the best movie I've ever seen, but it is thought provoking.  Anyway... the highlight of the film was the song played in the scene where J.J. realizes he's being played for a fool: Youth by Daughter.  As I tend to, I instantly downloaded the song and listened to it about a million times, first because of its catchy melody, then because the lyrics resonated with me.



I've been brooding lately.  About life, humanity, myself and my perceived lack of achievement.  Discovering this song was a wow moment because it's exactly how I feel.  Here are the lyrics:

shadows settle on the place that you left
our minds are troubled by the emptiness
destroy the middle, it's a waste of time
from the perfect start, to the finish line

and if you're still breathing, you're the lucky ones
cause most of us are heaving through corrupted lungs
setting fire to our insides for fun
collecting names of the lovers that went wrong, 
the lovers that went wrong

we are the reckless, we are the wild youth
chasing visions of our futures
one day we'll reveal the truth
that one will die before he gets there

and if you're still bleeding, you're the lucky ones
cause most of our feelings, they are dead and they are gone
we're setting fire to our insides for fun
collecting pictures from the flood that wrecked our home
it was a flood that wrecked this home

and you caused it
and you caused it
and you caused it

well i've lost it all, i'm just a silhouette
a lifeless face that you will soon forget
and my eyes are damp from the words you left
ringing in my head when you broke my chest
ringing in my head when you broke my chest

and if you're in love, then you are the lucky one
cause most of us are bitter over someone
setting fire to our insides for fun
to distract our hearts from ever missing them
but i'm forever missing him.

and you caused it. 
and you caused it.
and you caused it.

Goosebumps for me, every time I hear this ethereal song with soul quacking lyrics.  To me, it's about the accumulation of pain, the corruption of innocence and loss of childhood.  The realization that the world is a major disappointment, full of heart ache, followed by the desensitizing steps we take to protect  ourselves from further pain.  Yet, it seems to implore the listener to hold on to their pure, youthful naivety.  Not to loose it along the way, but to consider themselves lucky to be able to feel at all.  The alternative would be to become a silhouette, a lifeless, soon forgotten face.  It goes hand in hand with the Theory of Everything, and perks me up, because Stephen Hawking didn't allow this to happen to himself at all.  He remains one of the lucky ones.

Ultimately I think it's an empowering song.  Sort of saying: look at me, you don't want to to end up like this.  The words destroy the middle, it's a waste of time. from the perfect start, to the finish line together with we are the reckless, we are the wild youth.  chasing visions of our future. one day we'll reveal the truth, that one will die before he gets there; seem to caution against rushing through life without savouring the present moment, since that's all there ever really is.  Almost as if the lyrics are telling you that the secret to not becoming broken and cynical is to find a way to be happy in, and savour, the moment without letting it crush you.

I love it and I'm somewhat blown away by the message that the universe has conveyed to me twice this past week.  I've had the moment of wallowing self pity, followed by the swift kick up the ass I needed.  I won't be corrupted, numb, lifeless or bitter: there are no excuses for failure.

What do you think?  Bit heavy for a Tuesday morning?

2 comments

  1. A definite song about heartbreak and disappointment. Feelings and events we are free to move past; free to let go of when we choose; free to not even entertain if we so wish. Free to know, I will never be able to change people, places, or things.

    Failure is defined by my own definition. I am not defined by my feelings, as feelings can be changed. I can start my day over any time I choose and declare it a success.

    Great post, Lena!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you kindly for sharing your musings on this, Dixie. Your levelheaded control over your feelings has me in awe <3 and I'm very glad you were able to stop by to check out my tune this tuesday :) enjoy the rest of your week!

      Delete

 

About unwavering me

Sharing my stories of migrating from Australia to the US | travel adventures | married life | furry kids | new experiences | lessons | and loving life despite always missing home. xo.

Contact

Instagram Follow Me on Pinterest

spring in Austin TX

spring in Austin TX

Translate