... when you're constantly on the move, few things remain unchanged.

Blast from the past: Montville, QLD

Tuesday, January 14, 2014

The next Australian place I adore is just a half hour drive from Caloundra and only two hours north of Queensland's capital: Brisbane.  It's called Montville and it's a small town perched atop of the Blackall Mountain Range in the Sunshine Coast's hinterland.

Blackall Mountain Range
The Blackall Mountain Range itself is home to a plethora of wineries, cattle and bee farms, local artist studios, hiking trails, winding roads and various accommodation choices such as Bed and Breakfasts or log cabins.  The scenic drive through this range is breathtaking and well-worth it on its own but I always visit the town of Montville for lunch when I'm here.

Main St, Montville QLD
Although the 'town' of Montville basically consists of just one street, visiting this Main Street is like entering into a real-life postcard, especially in summertime when all the native flowers on the shrubs, trees and garden beds are in bloom.  Main Street is store after store of antiques, cafes, restaurants and shops where the mountain's own farmers, artists and vineyard owners get a chance to sell their goods. My fav stores include the:

- Country Lane

my personal decorating preference is shabby chic so I basically love everything in this store: a lot of which is handmade my local artists.  Plus this store goes ALL OUT for Christmas which I also love.

- Connemara Cottage

where you can trace the origin of your last name, find your family crest (if applicable) and even discover your family's tartan.  This is very exciting for people with British last names or common Slavic ones, sorry everyone else (ahem, my maiden name!),  you miss out.

- Castle Glen Cellars

Castle Glen Cellars have the largest and most unique selection of all natural, preservative free liquors and wines I've ever seen.  Their stunning sparkling wines and liqueurs with 24ct gold flakes make great gifts and I never leave without a bottle of the Chocolate Nut Creme Liquor: which tastes just like drinking Nutella!

- The German Clock Center

cuckoo clocks as far as the eye can see and other traditional European
souvenirs imported straight from Germany. 

- Chocolate Country
the name says it all!  chocolate anyway you can imagine - this place is heaven!

- Poets Cafe

Poets Cafe is without doubt my favourite spot in Montwille for lunch.  They have amazing scones and tea, huge desert collections... oh, and the view from the back balcony of the mountain range is to die for!  

When I lived in Brisbane or whenever we'd vacation at Caloundra, I visited Montville as often as I could. It has been the perfect setting to a fun weekend getaway with the girls, several awesome dates and some of the most perfect, lazy Sundays I've had.

Native flowers of Montville

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

About unwavering me

Sharing my stories of migrating from Australia to the US | travel adventures | married life | furry kids | new experiences | lessons | and loving life despite always missing home. xo.

Contact

Instagram Follow Me on Pinterest

spring in Austin TX

spring in Austin TX

Translate