... when you're constantly on the move, few things remain unchanged.

Food for thought | the meat pie

Wednesday, January 29, 2014


I never thought a meat pie would be mentioned as anything other than a traditional Aussie food in one of my blog posts but I've come to find that they aren't very common here in the USA so I think they deserve a proper shout-out.

American pies usually contain sweet fruit fillings and are considered dessert rather than meal but to an Australian the meat pie is the meal - predominately for lunch but we really aren't picky at all.  I love them and to me, the meat pie is worth breaking my carb-free diet for any day but only if it's made right.  I can be quite picky about the pastry that should be thick and soft on the bottom, thin and flaky on the top. Actually the more I think about it, the more I realise that the cheap and readily available Four'n Twenty pies back home are my idea of perfection. (Bogan? Maybe :P )

On Sunday (Australia Day) Will and I discovered an Australian pie shop right here in Austin!  It's called 'Boomerang Pies' and they have all my favourite flavours: steak & mushroom, chicken and veg and Guinness meat, all of which I was delighted to discover are made the way I like.  Even better is that they sell frozen pies which we've stocked up on for these perfect winter days.

Frozen meat pies from Boomerang Pies Austin

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

About unwavering me

Sharing my stories of migrating from Australia to the US | travel adventures | married life | furry kids | new experiences | lessons | and loving life despite always missing home. xo.

Contact

Instagram Follow Me on Pinterest

spring in Austin TX

spring in Austin TX

Translate